Thursday, January 28, 2010

Exam Time!

My sixth hour is 33 minutes away from being finished with their midterm exam in my class as I type this. They seem to be doing pretty well, no terrified faces or anything. I always thought taking multiple choice exams was really fun myself, but I don't blame them for not being excited about the essay portion.

I worry about a few students across all of the classes who are barely passing though. This is accelerated American Studies, which is supposed to mean that students fall above average, but below advanced. A lot of the times, I see kids who should be in AP (but I'm glad they're here), and I see kids who belong in regular AS. I feel like parents pressure their kids too much to be the best at everything. Maybe this is so they can brag to other parents. Maybe they just refuse to believe their kids are "just average" in some subjects. And it may not even be every subject; it could be that some of these kids rock in math and science, but they have trouble with the memorization and chronology aspects of history. There's no shame in it. And it's not that I don't want these kids in my class, because I do. But I also want to see them do their best and be able to UNDERSTAND, rather than struggle, struggle, struggle to barely get a D- and not retain anything. And frankly, sometimes a kid really can do the work and really is that intelligent, but he/she just has other crap going on that distracts him/her from schoolwork. I wish they would see that getting a B or C in a regular class looks a lot better to colleges and feels a lot better to a kid than getting a D- in an accelerated class, especially where he/she is surrounded by students who get A's on a regular basis and are disappointed by getting a B on a 5-pt assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment